Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Baked Potato Bar!

Did I tell you I was having a Birthday party for Gene? Well we had one last nite.
Since we are poor I thought a baked potato bar would be a cheap way to feed everyone. And it was! I made baked potatoes in the crock pot, did you know you can do that? I had to use my giant and medium sized crock to do it. 14 giant potaotes in all.
We had lots of great cheap toppings like: roasted red peppers, sauteed onions, steamed broc, sour cream, cheddar cheese, butter, homemade venison chili, crackers and salsa. Lots of options! It was a big hit, and friends brought lots of great stuff too: olives, Wheatfields kalamata olive bread and sweet basil bread(YUM), salt and pepper chips, homegrown onion and spinach, and home raised chicken eggs.
For gifts Gene got some trailer park hooch, homemade soap and a super fun postcard. A good time was had by all and we even had a visitor all the way from MAINE. :)
Here are the directions for crockpot potatoes:
potatoes
foil
crockpot
Clean potatoes, let them dry, pierce them, wrap in foil, place in crockpot, cook on high one hour, cook on low 6-8 hours. DO NOT ADD WATER!
They turn out perfect and cooked and yummy
Today I am going to try my hand at homemade pierogies. Wish me luck, and love to all of you, thanks for reading!

2 comments:

laura capello said...

huh. i never thought to cook baked potatoes in the crockpot!

grace said...

yeah, that's such a great idea!

tell gene happy birthday from the macmillan clan :)