Tuesday, July 7, 2009

better late than never menu.

We had a pretty busy weekend, I hope everyone had a good fourth. I know I did!
We set off many fireworks and had a blast..literally haha. My parents came for a quick visit which made for much frenzied cleaning last week. I made a spectacular dessert, Blueberry Spice whoopie pies,(I got the recipe from a Woman's Day magazine, I think). I have busy pickling as my neighbors cukes have come in and he wants me to pick them..oh darn.
Did I forget to tell you that Zach got married?
Oh yeah Zach got married. He has been telling us for years that his wife is going to be Asian, his dream came true!
Photobucket
the bride
Photobucket
the ring
Photobucket
the happy couple..so cute

Our garden is doing really well. This week its all about broccoli, cabbage, beets, turnps and potatoes. More than we can eat!
I made some fabulous Sour Kraut
Photobucket
It was really easy to make and tastes wonderful..yum
Like I told you our turnips our full grown, really full grown!
Photobucket
here are the pickles I made:
Photobucket
I made whole, chips and spears, all dills. I am going to try my hand at bread and butter pickles next week.
Here is the menu:
Tuesday:
German Hot pot (an old favorite and uses up some of those garden staples)
hot mashed potatoes

1 lb ground pork
1 lb smoked sausages cut into rounds
1 head of red and green cabbage each
1 onion diced
2 cloves minced garlic
lotsa salt and pepper
1 can sauerkraut
1/2 stick butter minced up to diperse
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shredded carrots
Dump all ingredients into crockpot mix and cook on low 6-8 hours and stir once in awhile. Serve over hot mashed potatoes.

Wednesday:
Mashed potatoes and roasted veggie enchiladas

1 head broccoli, cut into florets
8 ounces whole button mushrooms
3 small zucchini, chopped or 2 cups sauteed cabbage
2 cups chopped carrots
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups mashed potatoes
1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
3 cups enchilada sauce
8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, and carrots. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread vegetables in a single layer in a shallow baking dish. Roast vegetables in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes; stir halfway through their cooking time. When finished cooking, remove from the oven, and reduce oven temperature to 350. In a dry, nonstick skillet over medium heat, quickly heat each tortilla on both sides to make pliable. Dip the tortillas in enchilada sauce. Put a large spoonful (approximately 1/4 to 1/3 cup) of potato-veggie mixture into the center of each tortilla. Top mixture with about 1 to 2 tablespoons cheese, and roll tortillas. Place seam-side down in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour extra sauce over top, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Thursday:
Baked chicken
mashed turnips
steamed broccoli

Friday:
Its our 6 year anniversary..so we are eating out..yay!























.

No comments: